Thursday 14 February 2013

The Meaning of Love

Valentine's Day is one of the most important days of the year in the Western world. It is to remember St. Valentine, a priest who risked his life to marry couples in secret. Soldiers were forbidden from becoming married because Emperor Augustus believed it would make them weak. While there is nothing wrong with celebrating love, it is important to remember what is the true meaning of love and marriage.

The following is a social satire I have made up. I hope you enjoy it and feel free to share it!


A couple was planning what they were going to do on Valentine's Day.

"What to do you want to do on Valentine's Day, honey?" the man asked his girlfriend.

"To go shopping at IKEA!" she answered, her eyes all teary.

To his surprise, the man replied, "Shopping! Why would you want to go shopping on Valentine's Day? I thought we had done enough shopping!"

"Don't worry," his girlfriend said with a wile. "It will be the best day of your life. I promise. Just do what I say, okay?

"Alright." he replied. What else could he say?

Soon enough, it was Valentine's Day. The woman had been planning their wedding to be held at IKEA all along. The man was shocked, for he had not expected her to propose to him. So they got married at IKEA.

"I told you it would be the best day of your life," she said.

"Why didn't you tell me about this before Valentine's Day?" he asked her. "I would have brought you some chocolate and a cake."

Angered, she yelled "It doesn't matter whether we are married or not, you should buy me something anyway. How dare you say that!"

So she immediately called for a divorced and they were divorced immediately.

It was the world's shortest marriage. It lasted for only 2 hours.






No comments: