Friday 6 December 2013

Conversations with Liberals about PC

Below are my experiences with liberals on campus about the concept of political correctness and its implications:

One guy told me that the term 'political correctness' is a "derogatory" term used by the 'right' against the left. The other guy with him said that he supports political correctness. I explained that we are trying to get people to analyse and think about whether we need political correctness. I told them that people these days are very confused about what 'tolerance', 'discrimination', etc means. I gently told them that we seek to explore what these terms mean as these terms have been twisted around to serve the self-interests of particular groups who claim to serve all. 

One woman, who must be a liberal/progressive was saying how we need political correctness to stop people from being "discriminatory". She interrogated me (literally), by aggressively asking me to apply examples of situations where political correctness is dangerous. I told her immediately that PC can be used to legitimise inappropriate or evil behaviour like paedophilia. "Political correctness can be used by paedophiles to justify the "right" to paedophilia," I said. She nodded in agreement. There was no choice, but to nod.

I was telling a girl I know from the the Reform Party about how we are starting up a think tank to discuss political correctness. I did not tell her it was called 'Stop Political Correctness'.  She said it sounds exciting and that she would be willing to participate. She demonstrates an understanding of political correctness and supports it. She also told me in a self-righteous manner that she would be concerned about people who are trying to stop political correctness rather than political correctness itself. Such is expected from a liberal. 

No comments:

Blog Archive